A naked man was shot and killed by police after he refused to stop biting the face of another man, ripping apart his face savagely causing him severe facial trauma as he remains in critical condition at the hospital. The entire incident caused hours of traffic backup on the Westbound MacArthur Causeway as the Biscayne Boulevard exit was closed and the traffic narrowed to one lane.
This story has been blowing up across the internet for several reasons:
- He was naked
- He was biting and chewing another man’s face
- He was described as ‘acting rabid’
- When the police shot him, he did not stop
- Six or more shots were fired to take the man down
So.. the Internet has taken this to an all new level – because of the facts listed above… he’s being called a ‘zombie’
The headlines include:
- “Miami cop shoots, kills naked man eating victim’s face
- Miami officer shoots naked, face-chewing attacker
- “Naked man shot while eating victim’s face”
- “Naked Man Allegedly Eating Victim’s Face Shot And Killed By Miami Police”
- “Naked attacker ate man’s face: Miami cops”
But then, the real headlines start:
How the zombie apocalypse starts: Naked attacker found eating man’s face
From io9 (part of the Gizmodo family)
“…several circumstances of the story have some people crying zombie.
Now it’s one thing to eat another person, and it’s quite another to eat another person and then continue eating after you’ve been shot. Witnesses claim the officer fired half a dozen shots before the attacker finally stopped. The attacker was killed, and the victim is currently in the hospital.
This is obviously a great tragedy, one that’s left one man dead and another disfigured, and the police are theorizing cocaine psychosis rather than zombification as the cause of the attack. But residents of Miami can rest easy in the knowledge that the police are prepared to nip any zombie outbreaks in the bud.”
Commenters on the Miami Herald article about the shooting went even further with the ‘zombie’ conspiracy:
- “This was obviously a zombie attack. So sharpen those machetes and stock up on bullets.”
- “CDC Zombie Preparedness (Link)”
- “This is the first bite of the Zombie Apocalypse!!!”
While I do not think this is the start of the zombie ruled world as portrayed in so many movies, it definitely something you have to consider.